This is a code of conduct for all dog owners, regardless of their dog’s breed. However, “pit bulls” and pit bull owners are in a unique situation due to the pit bull / pit bull owner stereotypes. Responsible pit bull owners should break (not confirm) these stereotypes whenever possible.
- I will train and socialize my dog to be a good ambassador of the breed.
- I will not allow my dog to exhibit aggressive behavior.
- I will spay or neuter my dog.
- I will not condemn my dog to a life of isolation. I will keep my dog indoors, as a member of the family, for its entire life.
- I will not crop my dog’s ears or tail, make it wear a spiked collar, name it “Killer,” or do anything else to make my dog appear vicious.
- I will never leave my dog unsupervised with a child, another dog, or a small animal.
- I will take full responsibility for any injuries or messes caused by my dog.
- I will be aware of and fight against breed-specific legislation.
- I will adopt, and I will support pit bull rescue efforts.
- I will educate myself and others about dog behavior and safety around dogs.
- If my dog exhibits behavior problems, I will seek professional assistance immediately.
- If my dog does something wonderful, I will tell everyone, including the media.
- I understand that owning a dog is a lifelong commitment.
- I will give my dog food, water, shelter, and proper veterinary care.
- I will love my dog with all my heart.
Next Page: Basic Care